Friday, November 21, 2008

Famous Amos

I've never really known whether she liked the nickname I have for her. Maybe she told me one way or another and I didn't bother listening. But, as long as I have known her and known about her imaginary sister, I have called Amy Ashorn 'Famous Amos'.

A few things about the Famous one.

Since she was a little girl and not quite so famous she became part of my family and still is to this day.
My family is spread out throughout the planet, but Amy remains a part.

She went with us on family vacations and has seen me blow a gasket, or two, and still loves me. Once, I really blew a gasket and was ready to beat a guy to a bloody pulp, but that didn't scare off Amy. She still remains a family member.

Famous Amos is not my only nickname for her.

For a while, when she was much younger, I called her Julia. Something about the way she looked reminded me of Julia Roberts. Yes, the Julia Roberts of Pretty Woman fame.
I also called her Crazy Carport Head briefly because of an ugly accident she once had where her head hit our carport while she was riding in the back of a pick-up driven by our daughter. You could hear the bang when she hit her head from a long way off and blood was flowing everywhere. That is one hard headed young lady because there was no permanent damage.

There may be a nickname I've forgotten about by now and I have slept a bunch since then.

She still has an imaginary sister.

All kidding aside, I am very proud of Amy. She came from a very humble background and I hope she is not bothered by my words, yet managed to graduate from UT quite easily and is doing something that will make a difference in the community.
How many of us do things that make a difference?
She's been through some tough times and managed to hang on and come out all right.
She always has a kind of word for me whether I deserve it or not.

She is also one of the brightest people I know.

Did I mention she has an imaginary sister?
I'm not sure how long she can continue with that act but it's been going on a while.

So, Amy, if you happen to read this I am glad you are part of my family and I am so glad you are in my life and I love you very much just as my own.

Hook em!

3 comments:

Alice said...

Love it! You have a big heart, bro! And Amy is a wonderful young woman!

Amy said...

I love every nickname you have ever given me. And I love being a part of this family. And I love you.
Now I am crying, so that will be all for now.

Teresa said...

So...

I had to sign up for google/blogger to verify my non-fakeness. And to do so, I had to give "them" my e-mail address, which I didn't want to do. And Amy Ashorn...this wonderful young woman out there making a big difference in the world said, "Put in your fake email address." Which is apparently something that the brightest people in the world do.

I am really and truly NOT imaginary!!! Even though I do now have an imaginary email address.