Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Cherokee Fiddle and Travolta


I don't have a thing in the world against John Travolta.


I just wonder why twice in the history of this great nation did a movie that he starred in change our culture dramatically.
This country was sailing along minding it's own business when, BOOM, out of the blue we got hit with this Saturday Night Fever movie that turned the USA into a bunch of disco dancing robots. Can't believe how many people I actually saw wearing a suit similar to what Travolta wore in this movie, just like in the picture above.
Disco became all the rage and hundreds of thousands of young Americans blindly followed their leader, Mr Travolta.
Disco clubs popped up on almost every corner kind of like Starbucks more recently.
Sad thing is, the movie is hardly watchable. It was horrible. At least that was my opinion of it.
Should anyone that lived in that era have been surprised when Travolta came out in a new movie called Urban Cowboy which completely altered the country once more?
It was almost a relief in some ways to people like me, but almost over night the entire nation changed from white suits and disco lights to cowboy hats and boots.
Cowboy bars like Gilley's in Houston and Billy Bob's in Fort Worth, Texas were the new hot spots and the discos were dead.
Everybody was putting aside those disco moves and learning the two step. Hundreds of thousands of Americans now wanted to be a cowboy.
OK, I am going to admit that I bought boots, too. But, I never made the crossover completely. I do know some that did and never came back.
The movie Urban Cowboy could have been even worse than Saturday Night Fever, although I am not sure since I couldn't make myself sit through it.
I am a fan of all kinds of music and some good country music came out of this time period. One of my favorites was Cherokee Fiddle by Johnny Lee.
I am not going to get into any deep meanings or why a Cherokee was living in Oklahoma. Nor, will I get into the Trail of Tears or any of the native American's treatment by our government.
I just like the song and the fiddle. Nothing much more than that.

No comments: