Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Appalachian Trail


Always, it has been a dream of mine to hike this trail from top to bottom. Or, bottom to top, all 2175 approximate miles of it.
Maybe not always have I dreamed of it, but since I have been an adult.


I'm not getting any younger and circumstances seem to hinder me from fulfilling this dream.
Wonder what the record for the oldest hiker is?
However, if I wait and set the record when I am 90 years old, I am not sure my feet will hold up.
I suppose I inherited my desire to travel from my parents. When I was a child, my parents loaded up us kids and the Coleman trailer and we headed out. East one year, west the next, and then back east again. We probably saw about 40 to 45 of the states that way and I have seen some of the rest since then.
I still haven't been to Oregon, Hawaii and Alaska but I'm eager to go. I believe my parents finally made it to all of them.
I do marvel at us surviving those trips, two adults and four kids cramped in a car for two weeks on end, but I have a lot of fond memories of them as well.
Funny thing about our family is we liked to repeat things. First year we went East, we stayed at some places where we really had a great time. When we went back the year after next, we just had to stay at some of the same places again.
They were never as good the next time and we were always disappointed. Guess you just can't go back.
One of my favorite memories was the very first mountain I ever saw in my life. It was in Tennessee and was just a foothill, but it started a life time of fascination with mountains. I thought it was the most incredible sight I had ever seen.
Soon after, we visited Lookout Mountain, Tennessee where you could supposedly see 7 states at the same time. It was a tourist trap, but I loved it anyway.
Also, in Tennessee, there were springs everywhere and just coming out of the side of a mountain.
At about the same time, I saw my very first black bear along the side of the road begging for food from travelers.
We drove from Texas to Florida and then up to Maine. Absolutely loved the Appalachian Mountains and most of everything else we saw.
The following year, I saw the Rockies.
I was in love and it's a wonder I never moved there. Thinking back on it, kind of ticks me off that I didn't make a huge move like that. I'm a weenie.
Lots of incredible memories. Some bad moments as well, but I tend to remember the better times on the road.
Kind of makes me think of my brother Roger, too, which makes me a little sad. But, I am sure he enjoyed himself, too.
Aw, back to the Appalachian Trail. I know good and well I am never going to make it. But, I've sure enjoyed dreaming about it.
Trail food would get old anyway.
More on travel later, but as Thanksgiving approaches my thoughts go to things I am thankful for.
I am thankful for my family and the good times we experienced. Wish Roger was here, but think of all the wonderful Thanksgiving holidays when he was.
Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: