Thursday, January 1, 2009

Southern USA

A few days ago we completed a drive from the desert to Greenville, South Carolina and we had a great time.
Just getting in and out of Texas is an ordeal and I think we'll probably fly next time, but I did enjoy seeing some new things or some places I haven't seen in years.

I've been to Arkansas in the last ten years so I I know a little about the state. The western part of the state is pretty nice, although the people pretty much suck in general so I would just as soon just fly over next time.
The eastern part of the state is pretty ugly and drab and nothing much to speak of.


Tennessee is on a different level. Loved Memphis from what I saw of it and want to go back desperately. I didn't see much of the rest of the city but the downtown area is great even if they don't know how to cook ribs.
I want to go back and hit one of the blues joints and hang out and tilt one back. Would be awesome if BB King, my new favorite musician, would actually be at his restaurant and playing music. That would make anyone's trip.
I liked the Mississippi being right by the downtown area and the battleground right by the bridge crossing the river.
I am not all that big on Elvis, so I'll pass on Graceland but I always wondered why a rich guy like Elvis would live in Memphis and now I think I know.

Nashville is pretty incredible, too, and I already blogged on it. We need to take some time and see both Nashville and Memphis again for a few days.

The eastern part of the state is simply beautiful. From rolling hills to majestic mountains, it has a lot of things that appeal to me. I didn't get to see enough of Knoxville and sometime I would like to take in a Tennessee Vol football game.
The area is incredible and just north of the Smoky Mountains which is a place I would like to spend a lot of time at in the future.

Tennessee is much like I remembered and the rocky crags with springs all over the place running down the side of the mountains are right at the top of my favorite things in nature.

I love the state and need to see a whole lot more of it and especially the eastern section.


North Carolina rules. I think this is one of my favorite states in the USA.
The Appalachians aren't huge mountains by world standards, but they are very beautiful and I love spending time there. Some of the mountain folks are a little strange and are missing something somewhere, but they in no way take away from the beauty.
We didn't spend a lot of time here but what we saw was incredible. This was my fourth trip to North Carolina and I love it every time I go.
I could see myself living in this state and I particularly like the Ashville area. But, anywhere in the western section of the state is breathtakingly beautiful.


I've been to South Carolina three times, but twice it's been to Greenville. I have to admit, I kind of like that area. It's right on the edge of the Appalachians and from a lot of points in the city you can see the mountains pretty clearly. The trees there and the climate make it an attractive area and of course I like some of the residents there.
I am not all that sure about the rest of the state, but I do like the upstate area.
I do need to see the coastline again. I was there as a kid but don't remember all that much.


Northern Georgia is beautiful and Atlanta is another place that we need to spend more time in. The city itself was attractive and needs further inspection. We were in a rush and just saw scenery from the highway but I liked what I saw.
In Georgia, I want to see some of the northern part of the state. This is another place that we traveled through as a kid and I have seen it but need to see more.


The surprise of the trip for me was Alabama. Now, I am not going to replace North Carolina or Tennessee with Alabama but from what I saw of it the state was very nice.
Talladega National Forest and the mountains in that part of the state was very scenic and enjoyable. I don't like Nascar at all, but the Talladega Motor speedway was pretty impressive.
Birmingham was also much nicer than I perceived it to be and I even kind of liked Tuscaloosa.

The eastern part of Alabama was much nicer than I expected and made traveling through a pleasant experience.


Mississippi was pleasant enough. I expected the trees, but it was more hilly than I thought it would be. Woodall Mountain, at 806 feet in elevation, is the highest point in the state so the hills aren't big but anything other than flat land is nice for my aging eyes.
Meridian was a decent looking city but I doubt I ever spend much time there given the choice. Vicksburg is a high on my list of places to go back to. I have been there but I was young.


Louisiana is a dump. I don't know of anything I like about this state. The northern part of the state which we traveled through was the least scenic of any place we visited and I hope to avoid it in the future.
I know my good pal, Amy, loves New Orleans but I will pass. Sorry. Bourbon Street with it's stench of urine and stale alcohol is not for me.
I like the trees in this state and they play pretty good high school football, but that's about it.

Shreveport is fine if you are into gambling and I would be if I could count cards. Otherwise, I have given away enough money and I am not comfortable with the house always wins concept.

Sorry, that's just my opinion on the matter.


Overall, the Southern states were pretty impressive and enjoyable to travel through. Next time we visit Greenville, we would like to fly in and rent a car to see some local sights.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Aww no. Don't be talking mess about my NOLA. That city has the power to have a Hurricane derail and hit Abilene. Well, I guess not or they would have done that with Katrina. But it is a great city. I defend her honor. Someday, I'll show you the beauty of it.

Brad Taylor said...

It probably wasn't fair of me to make those comments because I have only seen parts of it.