Saturday, January 17, 2009

Bloody Sunday

The Aspen does not really like this song, but it's one of my all time favs. Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2 is still going to be on the list of my all time favorites in spite of Aspen's opinion. :)

Hell, the drumbeat in itself is more than enough to interest me in this song.



But, to me, it's way deeper than drums or guitars or even the remarkable Bono. It's about repression and fighting back. It's about getting control over your own life back from the people that have dominated you.

I can relate to that.



I am not Irish. Actually, I have no idea what I am other than Heinz 57, but I have always felt connected to the Irish people. Maybe because I was also born on the wrong side of the tracks in the worldly scheme of things. Or, because I always feel something for the underdogs.
Either way, I have always had a fascination for all things Irish or Scottish.

Sunday Bloody Sunday is about an incident that happened in 1972 in Derry, Ireland. English soldiers fired upon unarmed Irish protesters, killing at least 13. This song is honoring those victims.
It honors them well. There's no going back and changing things and we can't bring those people back, but this song does not let their memories die.
This song even makes me think of Bobby Sands who felt so strongly about the cause that he gave his life for it. There's just something about feeling that strongly about something that catches my attention.

I don't feel that strongly about much of anything and in fact am really confused right now about what I think about anything that matters in life.



Today is Sunday. I am not going to go out and give my life today for something I feel is important, but my heart goes out to some of those that were willing to do that.


Imagine Bono singing these words to those fantastic notes:



I can't believe the news today
Oh, I can't close my eyes and make it go away
How long, how long must we sing this song?
How long, how longCause tonight
We can be as one tonight
Broken bottles under children's feet
Bodies strewn across the dead end street
But I won't heed the battle call
It puts my back up
Puts my back up against the wall
Sunday, bloody Sunday
Sunday, bloody Sunday
Sunday, bloody SundaySunday, bloody Sunday
And the battle's just begun
There's many lost, but tell me who has won
The trench is dug within our hearts
And mothers, children, brothers, sisters torn apart
Sunday, bloody Sunday
Sunday, bloody Sunday
How long, how long must we sing this song?
How long, how long
Cause tonight
We can be as oneTonight, tonight
Sunday, bloody Sunday
Sunday, bloody Sunday
Wipe the tears from your eyes
Wipe your tears away
Oh, wipe your tears away
Oh, wipe your tears away
Sunday, bloody Sunday
Oh, wipe your bloodshot eyes
Sunday, bloody Sunday
Sunday, bloody Sunday
Sunday, bloody Sunday
Sunday, bloody Sunday
Sunday, bloody Sunday
And it's true we are immune
When fact is fiction and TV reality
And today the millions cry
We eat and drink while tomorrow they die

No comments: