Thursday, January 15, 2009

The 2012 Problem

The Pre-Columbian Mayan calender ends on Dec 21, 2012





This blog is about my fears of the world ending before I do something.





When I was a kid there was a book called 1984 by George Orwell. Obviously, I never read the book but from my view point it was about the end of times. I found out later that the subject of this book was quite a bit different than what I thought it was.
Hey, I was a school kid and not that interested in fiction.


But, regardless of my thinking at the time in my life, it kind of represented the end of the world. Not so much the end of the world but the beginning of end times.


Again, very obviously, the world didn't end in 1984. But, I grew up thinking the end of the world might come before I had a chance to do the things I wanted to do. To face God is one of the biggest fears I have to this day. I hope he is merciful towards me.

If God isn't merciful, I am in some deep dog poo.

There are other instances in my lifetime when people thought the end times were upon us. One of the more amusing ones now is the year 2000. I remember people going around collecting goods that they could use in case there was no electrical power or no place to buy groceries. A lot of people thought the end was coming when the clock struck 12 on December 31st of 1999. I remember thinking it silly, but one eye was watching the clock just in case.

Obviously, the world didn't end.

Still, End Times are a big thing in my life and I don't believe the world will end on December 21, 2012.

But, I have to admit that one eye will be on the calender just in case.

No comments: