Saturday, September 26, 2009

My Ole Pappy and the South Rim


Growing up in the Taylor household was not always a picnic. I did my best to protect myself and stayed outside and out of trouble as much as I could, but there were often outbursts that couldn't be helped it seemed.
I do have some good childhood memories and even some of them involve my immediate family.
But, I will admit things could have been a lot better.
A case could be made that folks did the best with what they had to work with and I am not opposed to that at all.
But, the truth is what it is as they like to say these days.
My favorite memories of my Ole Pappy were actually adult memories.
Twice in my adult years I met my Mom and Dad on Interstate Highway 10 west of San Antonio and we drove to Big Bend National Park.
We stayed at the Lodge in the Basin up in the Chisos Mountains. The entrance to the Chisos Mountains is pictured above and is a very scenic area and especially when you get into the Basin.
On the first trip, the two of them and myself climbed Emory Peak which is the highest peak in Big Bend at 7,825 feet. That doesn't sound like much of a mountain but it is 3,000 feet above the Basin floor from where your hike starts.
My Mom struggled.
She gave it a good shot, but it was too much for her and she quit about a hundred feet from the top. That was still a nice accomplishment for her.
My Ole Pappy went to the top like it was nothing.
The following trip my Pappy and I hiked the South Rim Loop which is over 13 miles. Pretty long day hike but he handled it well and he was in his 60s.
The Chisos Mountains are an oasis in hundreds of miles of desert. The Basin and surrounding mountains are covered with Pinon Pine, Junipers, Arizona Cypress and some Ponderosa Pines and even a few Aspens. Compared with some of the other magnificent national parks of this country, Big Bend and the Chisos Mountains may not seem like much but after driving so many miles across extremely arid and treeless land it seems pretty incredible.
My Pappy knew all the plants and was like hiking with a tour guide.
Away from the stresses of every day life, he was a lot of fun to be around. He could cut up and joke and was genuinely pleasant.
My brother Roger never really got to experience this side of him and I feel badly about that.
But, I can't change any of that.
Hiking in the Chisos Mountains with my Pappy was a fun time and one of my favorite memories of my father.

1 comment:

Alice said...

I have my own pleasant adult memories of him, and grateful for it! Thanks for sharing!