Monday, September 21, 2009

First Cold Front



It's not exactly a big secret to those that know me, but I am a big fan of cool weather. I love it and I can't stand it when it's hot outside.


I grew up in far south Texas, in the Rio Grande Valley. I hated it at the time, but thinking back, I have a lot of great memories of the Valley.
But, one thing about the place, it is nearly always warm down there. If it ever freezes, they have big problems with the citrus crop.
We moved out of the Valley when I was in junior high school and I will never forget our first winter in the Great White North of Austin, Texas. :)
Yes, that is a joke, but that first winter there we had a freak ice storm which is one of my great memories of child hood. My first real experience with cold weather.
Thinking back, it was just a tiny sheet of ice and they have probably not had more than a few ice or snow storms in the nearly 40 years since.
But, it was just my luck that we happened to get ice my first year out of the valley.
Each year, I eagerly anticipate the first cool front to end the brutal heat of summer in Texas.
Tonight, in Abilene, Texas, we are supposed to have our first cold front of the year. Tomorrow is the first day of Fall and we will have our first cold front when we get up in the morning.
I can't wait.
I might even jump up and click my heels together. That is, if I could still jump up.
The first cold front and the many cold fronts to follow are one of my bigger joys.

1 comment:

Alice said...

Wasn't the snow storm that first winter, too? I remember the drifts in the ditch over by the Batey's house being rather 'deep'! My shoe came off in the snow! :)