Saturday, September 19, 2009

Day 5 at Glacier



Day 5;
It is chill day. We are physically tired.

We got up, it was 35 degrees at the Swiftcurrent Lodge.
I look up and see mountain goats moving on the cliffs a thousand feet or more above us. Probably, this will be the last time I see any for a while.

What a great morning.

We slowly meander through the park looking for wildlife and just soaking it in.
One last time over Logan’s Pass and it may be my last time ever. I have mixed feelings on that. It took me 50 years to get here and I don’t think I will be alive in another 50 so it may be my last time. But, I don't want it to be. Yet, I have so much to see and do in my lifetime.

We just stop and enjoy the same scenery. No hiking today, we are very sore from the previous days. We really should work out.
We take in several waterfalls. And just soak it all in.

On our 5th and final day in Glacier, we stay at MacDonald lodge. Too much money and the room is not good.
No electrical plugs and not much of anything else. The shower is tiny and the bathroom tinier. This wouldn't be so bad if it didn't cost so much.
The lodge food is way too expensive, so we drive down to the West Glacier cafe again and pay less and the food is probably better. I just don't enjoy paying $17 for a hamburger.

I still have a hard time with how early they close this park down. It's an amazing 75 degrees most of the day. Perfect weather, but again, I have not been here enough to know any better.
This place is a cash machine. All of the lodging is expensive as is the food and everything else. Just figuring on how much they take in at the front gates and seeing how many cars there are in the park, you have to believe they rake in a bunch of cash.
But, it's only open 3 months a year, and you have to figure on government waste.
It's been a great time, probably my best vacation of my life. It was a total surprise and made my heart joyful.
I would like to come back some day, but realize I probably won't and that makes me a little sad. Still, it's hard to be too down about this outstanding time.
We only have the trip across Montana, Idaho and to Spokane left to accomplish.

No comments: