Sunday, December 7, 2008

Block Island


I had never heard of Block Island before 2006, but after visiting it is now one of my favorite places.

There is not a lot to do there for young people, but I think that's part of what I like. It's not as touristy as nearby Martha's Vineyard. It has more of a homey feel to it.

Oh yeah, it gets plenty of tourists. There are B and B's everywhere and lots of businesses that cater to the tourists.
One such business is moped rentals. The California Girl and I had never ridden a moped before and this was pretty funny.
We had to practice in the rental place a few minutes before we were allowed to drive around town. A moped is the perfect way to see the entire island pretty quickly and unfortunately, the natives are a little resentful to the moped riders.
I can certainly understand why.
I took to them pretty much instantly after I got used to it, but had to wait on the Cali Girl to learn to appreciate driving fast. I was way out in front when we passed a young teenage boy that reminded us of our son, Tyler, and his friends. He had the long hair and the clothes of that age group and the skateboarder look going.
When he saw the Cali Girl, he yelled at her "you have to go faster, lady".
We both laughed for a long time over that and still laugh about it to this day.
The ferry ride over to Block Island with 10 foot waves was an adventure in itself and we both survived.
Block Island is green and beautiful. It's not very large and can be seen pretty quickly, but I'd love to go back and see it all again.
If you are ever in Rhode Island, I highly recommend Block Island. We didn't make Nantucket, but I preferred Block Island to Martha's Vineyard.

No comments: