Sunday, March 8, 2009

Born to be Wild

I've got to admit that nearly every time I go near Interstate 20 in my sorta home town, I get an itch to hit the road.
Maybe not on a hog, but something in me wants to just take off and drive and stop where I stop.

When I was young, I had a roommate from Michigan. He once brought up hitchhiking from Texas to Michigan with a slight detour through Colorado and the Rockies. Our final destination was to be the Lake of the Clouds in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I truly regret not just taking off. Would have been interesting to say the least.

Some of my favorite memories have been of travel and some of our best trips have been those where we just take off on a whim and stop when we want.
Once, the Cali Girl and I were childless and just took off for the mountains of New Mexico and just saw the sights. That was an outstanding vacation and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

One of my favorite things about this life is of the far blue mountains when they first come in to sight. A large part of me longs to see that right now.
Nothing is quite like the mountains.

When our kids were little, we would wake up really early in the morning and get in the car. Usually on these trips, we had a destination in mind, but the kids went right back to sleep and I got to watch the sunrise while traveling down the old highway.
Great memories.
Our kids never cared about any scenery once we got there. But, hey, I liked the scenery so it was worth it.


Cali Girl is in South Carolina and having a great time. I am home alone and working like a dog. But, my time is coming.

Some day we are just going to take off and see what's out there. It's gonna happen.

No comments: