Sunday, October 4, 2009

Letter to Mini-Me

OK, OK, I know this makes me look weak, but I am going to post it anyway.

I went through some hard times, lost a lot of money, lost my self-respect and put my roommate through some really rough times.
They aren't over yet. But, I am probably a little hardened and tougher now.

But, at the time, I went to a counselor just because I needed to talk to somebody outside my family and I had no real friends that I would burden with my problems.

He had me write a letter to myself when I was a kid. It's really too bad I couldn't get the letter to myself when I was about 10.

I called this the Letter to Mini-Me and I was going through my documents on my computer and thought I would post it here.

Stop calling me a wimp and get to reading.





LETTER TO MINI-ME
Dear Mini-Me,
Relax little fella, everything‘s going to be all right.
Trust me on this, some day you will have the final say, the last laugh if you will. Anyone that calls you stupid or insinuates the same, doesn’t know the real you or what’s inside of you.
Hold your head up and look people in the eyes, because they don’t know what’s in your heart. They don’t know your desires or your capabilities. They don’t know that you can do or be anything you want if you have set your mind to it.
Just because you don’t know the name of some tool that does not make you ignorant. In fact, I think that makes you brilliant at even an early age. Even then, you could see the uselessness of doing manual labor and realize, even though you were not fully aware yet, that you can be far more successful using your mind as opposed to your hands.
Because of your early life, you thought you had to live up to other people’s standards or lifestyles. You didn’t.
I wish I could tell you this now in reality and save you lots of wasted time and pain. Hard work is good, but only hard work that will take you in the direction that you need to go. The guy under the car is not the bright one, or he would have brought the tools he needs to get the job done correctly. You are a kid, be a kid. You want to play ball, look at girls and other things boys do.
Let your imagination run wild, because that is what will take you places. The traditional way of life may be good for some, but it will never be for you. Make your own way and don’t worry what others think. Worry about what God thinks and when all is said and done, you will be more successful and happy.
The world really is your oyster. You can do, or be, anything you want. You can live anywhere you want. Experience life and don’t be afraid. Fear is nothing but a lie and you don’t have to live under that. People will try and push you away, don’t let them. Stand tall and firm and fight for what is right and for what you want.
Decide what you want and just go for it. Don’t let things and especially fear hold you back. There are no legitimate excuses for not doing the things you are capable of doing.
People usually don’t mean to harm you or to do the things that they sometimes do to others. Rise above it and be strong, because that’s what you are. Be strong and courageous.
You don’t have to listen to what somebody else tells you that you are or how somebody else defines you. Define yourself and make your life the best that it can be.
Press on, Mini-me, but enjoy life now.
Sincerely,
Me

2 comments:

Alice said...

Fabulous! thanks for posting! It's great to hear the hope in your 'voice'!

Amy said...

Aww PB...I love your vulnerability here!