Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cruise Night


Yesterday, they had a car show and a cruise night here in town. I was a bit skeptical and was not expecting much.
We did not make the car show, but attended the cruise night.
We found a nice place to pull over and park and just sat there for a couple of hours watching the cars and trucks drive by over and over.
The weather was perfect and in fact, was almost chilly out. I had a really fun time, actually.
There were a lot more cars than I expected and some were even really nice. Nothing like the car in the picture above which is a 1969 Yenko Camaro and is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
But, there were some nice cars. There were also a lot of ugly cars and stupid looking cars which were kind of amusing to watch.
This was a nice reminder of yesteryear. There were old guys and young guys and all kinds of cars, pick up trucks, low riders, and a wide assortment of vehicles.
Maybe the strangest one of the night was a pick up truck that somebody had removed the bed and replaced it with another front so it looked like two trucks backed up to one another and one pulling the other. Wish we had taken a picture because it was too strange to believe and quite the riot.
There were muscle cars. There were classic cars. There were piece of junk cars. Everybody that liked cars of all kinds were either driving one or sitting on the side watching.
It was a fun night for me.
I am an old guy, but I am just a little bit too young to have experienced much of the 'good old days' where every small town had a spot where all the teenagers cruised looking for racing action or whatever else might happen in the growing up years.
In my town, people circled a Dairy Queen. When I started driving, they blocked off the route around the Dairy Queen and the 'good old days' were effectively over.
People were sort of poor in my day and in my town. There weren't a lot of new cars in the high school parking lot, but there were a few muscle cars about.
Even though the hang out had been closed down, it was still possible to meet up and find somebody to race, occasionally.
But, for all purposes, I missed the really good ole days.
Just barely.

1 comment:

Alice said...

You will need to write sometime about the car you built!!! Perhaps you did already, but this reminded me of it